Thursday, January 28, 2010

“I am sometimes a fox and sometimes a lion. The whole secret of government lies in knowing when to be the one or the other.”- Napoleon Bonaparte

All this Discussion Board talk about FOX News got me revved up!
Before I continue I would like to explain my opinion on the matter. Then, of course, I will start rambling.

I consider myself “fair and balanced” (pun intended). I honestly can say I am neither left nor right on the political spectrum. I’m like the flag that is tied to the middle of the rope in a schoolyard game of “tug of war.”

Now on to the rambling:
Just for the heck of it, I decided to dictionary.com “fox.” I know what a fox is and I know what it means to call someone a ‘fox.’ Definition #3 says “a cunning or crafty person.” Hmm. I wonder if Rupert Murdoch dictionary.com-ed “fox” before he chose the word to represent the integrity of his “fair and balanced” news station.

I’m not saying that FOX is the only news station with an outlandish political slant [they all do]. I’m just saying it’s the only one with an ironic name.

One thing that bothers me when the FOX News conversation arises is the stubbornness of people on both sides of the issues. Some people feel whole-heartedly that FOX News is legitimate and that it is not capable of broadcasting slanted journalism. Other people feel whole-heartedly that FOX News is illegitimate and unfairly distributing skewed information. Perhaps the truth lies in a mix of both? And in the realization that FOX is not the only guilty party in the world of news stations.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to add, that recently Obama spoke at a dinner (lunch) with the GOP and answered questions. The daily show did a synopsis of Obama's rants to them in an angry way, I thought it was funny, but what was really funny was that CNN and MSNBC played the live feed from start to finish, since its news. But the funny part was that FOX basically said Obama is heated at the Republicans to "sum up" and cut the feed.

    You should watch this:

    http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/mon-february-1-2010-austan-goolsbee

    ReplyDelete