Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Anti Social

I think that using too much media technology makes us (as a generation, population) less sociable in face-to-face situations. I used to use AIM so much that I went from a one-finger typist to being so efficient I could be a stenographer. But, as my typing and short-hand skills increased I feel that my social skills plummeted. When AIM became popular I was at the age where social skills and people should be sharpened finely tuned. However, I feel that for my generation, media entities like AIM, e-mail, facebook, and text messaging leave our face-to-face people skills out of practice. If you got nervous on the phone why would you call someone when you could text them? If you get shy or nervous talking to teachers why would you go to their office when you could e-mail them. As much as this technology makes our life easier, it makes other parts of [at least my] life harder.

1 comment:

  1. Very true. When I was younger I needed glasses and didn't get a pair until my sophomore year in high school. It was amazing how well I could see! A social ability that I was never to develop was face recognition from a distance. Even today I still have my glasses on but won't recognize somebody until there are practically on top of me. I feel like this too has impeded my socialization skills. Good post though, very interesting and relatable!

    ReplyDelete