Sunday, March 28, 2010

Three Cups of Tea

My mother just finished reading the NY Times bestselling book 'Three Cups of Tea.' From what she has told me about the book, it is hard to not get inspired by it. The book reveals the poor conditions in Pakistan and Afghanistan for school aged children, especially girls. The main character of the book (which is a true story) is still working to build proper schools for boys and girls in these countries to offer an alternative to terrorist training camps.

While I haven't read it yet, I was intrigued when my mother shared with me the fact that the back of the book had a page about what to do if the book inspired you. It suggested that readers either go to the books website to purchase copies (so proceeds can support female education in these countries), blog about it to spread the word, and rate the book on amazon.com. I think its amazing how something as far away from modern media technology as a book has transcended the norm and has grown to incorporate the growing social media and internet-dependent society we exist in.

No comments:

Post a Comment