Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Virtual Classroom

When I tell people that I go school two days a week they assume I’m part-time. I happen to be a full time student and just squeeze all of my classes in two days so that I can continue to work on the other days. When people inquire about how I am able to do this I smile and say –online classes =]. Some people have this thing with online classes; they think I’m enrolled at the University of Phoenix Online or something (an unaccredited school that you basically purchase your “diploma” from). Some people don’t seem to understand that classes on the internet are just as challenging and important as classes that you sit in. I think this can be blamed on the generation gap between me and the people who have these comments. To some the internet is for fun and games, but to me the internet means work! I wonder if this attitude will change someday and people will give you as much “credit” for being a working student who takes online classes as someone who never has experienced an online classes. Online classes are definitely convenient but they are in no way necessarily easier than regular classes because of their nature. An essay is still an essay, a reading is still a reading, and class participation might even happen more often online than in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment