Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Going Paperless

With the 'going green' trend picking up speed everyday there always seems to be some new way to lessen your impact on our planet. The new media technologies that we have become so used to today (computers, the internet, iphones) have at least had a hand in giving us the opportunity to use less paper. I used to get pages upon pages of bank statements in the mail and when I realized I rarely look at them (I look at the online version) I "went paperless." This function allows us to get the same information we would have anyways and saves us from household clutter and wasting paper. Other ways media tech. has helped us go paperless are evident in the use of online magazines, newspapers, e-mail, and countless others. I especially enjoy not having to print 25 page papers when they can be submitted electronically. Even if you don't necessarily care about wasting paper (which you should) going paperless helps keep you organized. Give it a shot.

3 comments:

  1. Concerts are also going paperless, but it is for going green and to stop people from scalping. It was strange because instead of them just scanning your ticket, you have to use your credit card to get through. It felt weird.

    I just opened a new checking account at a credit union, instead of using a bank, and they just assumed paperless, which was awesome. Most banks/credit unions are just switching now, without even asking their new customers which statement they want, so that they can save paper. There is no point in getting a piece of paper that tells me my bank statements when I check them out online.

    I agree that people need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that banking statements should be viewed online. I hate when I get any form of document like that because I already know what I have in their. The only argument I make for the opposing side is that for example my grandmother doesnt know how to use her computer. She doesn't like online banking because she feels like they are robbing her. In other words, she feels like she can't really see her money and that somehow they can trick us. Now she isn't ill or anything haha...she is just very cautious with her money so I think for her and other people her age, this transition will be hard for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've worked at going as paperless as possible in my classes--even the f2f classes are encouraged to hand in papers electronically. Sometimes you just need paper (in-class quizzes, for instance), but most of the time it can be avoided...

    ReplyDelete